History

Blackwood Community Recreation Centre

Blackwood Community Recreation Centre was established over a century ago and is well rooted in its community to all that know and use it.  Having been transformed into a modern multi purpose community space in more recent years, it currently provides a welcoming ‘open to all’ facility, run by a dedicated and long serving Board of Management.

Humble Beginnings

Looking back to the early 1900's many professional people lived in the cool of the hills and used the train to commute to Adelaide, as the road networks weren't what they are today. Once these working professionals returned home they couldn’t return to the city as there were no late passenger train services back into the city.

This social isolation from the city life led to discussions by the commuters as to what could be done to improve local social activities. Also to keep the youth out of mischief, channeling their energies to positive, healthy effect.

A committee was formed and with much favour towards the development in 1903 an institute was erected on the corner of Corromandel Parade and Garnett Avenue. The funds for the four lots purchased came from a local Belair gentleman Alexander Downer. He paid £30 for the building that was known as The Blackwood, Coromandel and Belair Boy's Club. Clubrooms were incorporated and these were open almost every night of the week. The Literary Society division of the committee produced a monthly edition of "The Blackwood Magazine" in 1914.

The club particularly benefited the youth of Blackwood, "where the bracing effects of the climate seem to produce an extra supply of surplus energy, and the need was strongly felt of a channel where this energy could be expressed more fittingly than by the little acts of mischief of which some of us were the constant victims."

The name ‘Boys Club’ is something of a misnomer, for the Cub catered for girls as well, and provided a Centre for many community activities involving adults.

Within a short time of its foundation various sporting activities were under way.  These included gymnastics, roller skating, basketball (netball) and billiards. There was a football club and tennis club associated with the club and social events were held from time to time for the specific benefit of the groups.

Other highlights include the establishment of a brass band in 1911, where all members had to belong to the club. In 1921 the movies came to Blackwood and the Hall was used as a picture theatre on Saturday nights.

World War I and World War II had considerable impact on the development of the Club and its members and for some time it fell into expected decline. Across these periods there are unsurprisingly few records. However, many fundraising initiatives were carried out for the Australian Red Cross.

Redevelopment

Sport and intellectual activities filled the lives of the community under this umbrella until 1977 when the old wood and iron hall was replaced by the Recreation Centre on the old site ‘after a decade of hoping, planning and saving’.

BCRC – As We Know It Today

BCRC has since seen a further transformation into the imposing multi-purpose Blackwood Community Recreation Centre site that we know and love today. BCRC offers a diverse and full program of activities for all ages, covering the surrounding Mitcham Hills community and beyond.

It is well situated in Eden Hills, just off the Shepherds Hill Road towards Blackwood and located between the Oval and Blackwood School.

Its point of difference can be seen in its team sports and state competitions. Also, through its recognition of its more mature demographic offering a variety of regular fitness programs that have been officially recognized as State leading.

The local council actively support the continued growth of the Centre.

For further reading 

We recommend; Fun and Games: Boys' Club to Recreation Centre 1903-1991 lovingly compiled by local historian, Alison Painter in 1991. This historical publication tells the story of the Blackwood Community Recreation Centre, its contributors and community. Following BCRC's inception from scout hut in 1903 (and fondly known in its decrepit stage as the possum palace in the 1960’s) to its present state servicing over 3000 people that come through its doors each week.

If you'd like to learn more please ask to borrow our counter copy at reception.

People's Feedback

The children enjoyed the morning, they were happy with all your supervisors help. They thought it was lots of fun. The balance of organised games and free skating was great and all children thought it was well balanced. Well done to your centre.

Vac Fun Skate
Reynella Primary School OSHC